Steytsayd Ilongga

As the title implies, Angel was born in the Philippines and currently living in NYC. This Personal Journal contains random Recipes of my kitchen "experiments", Food-related events, Good Eats, and of course - lots of Photos. For Family-related posts, Travel notes, and other Miscellanous topics, drop by HTTP://STEYTSAYDILONGGALIWAT.BLOGSPOT.COM. Take a peek at my life... Hey, jump right in!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York City, United States

Catch up on some (mis)Adventures of a fun-loving gal who's making the most out of married life, being a mom, and living it up in the Big Apple.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Bug Got Me!

I have the flu. And after trying to self-medicate myself for a couple of days with OTC analgesic/antipyretic meds with no obvious relief, I finally decided to see a doctor yesterday evening. I haven't been to the doctor for a while. So long in fact that when I called my Primary Care physician, I found out that she was only handling geriatrics now. Faced with the dilemma of going to the Emergency Room or making an appointment with my hubby's doctor, I chose the latter. He agreed to see me immediately on such a short notice. Turned out that my cough had developed into bronchitis and sinusitis, and I was mildly chastised for "neglecting" myself. OK. OK. It's my fault. What I had nonchalantly dismissed as merely pesky nuisance had morphed into a super-bug with fangs, and had turned around to bite me in my ass. After getting my prescriptions filled out, I immediately headed home. One disadvantage of sharing a doctor with your husband was the fact that even before I opened our door, Dr. T. had already called my husband to discuss my diagnosis with him.
Not that I had anything to hide, but whatever happened to patient/doctor priviledged information?
So here I am in bed - with loads of new magazines, TV remote control, an assortment of pills, fruits and fluids. Eating some remnants of chicken noodle soup from Hot & Crusty which P. brought home. Watching a really cheesy Pinoy DVD courtesy of epinoymovies.com. An occasional dose of these movies entertain me a lot (Mababaw na kaligayahan) although I really don't have a clue who this Herras actor is. I don't have much appetite - thank goodness for that. After the holiday binges, I needed to lose a couple of pounds anyway. Whew, what a way to start the year.
Anyway, being sick doesn't necessarily mean that I'm free of housework. I still gotta cook once in a while (well, I'd feel guilty if I don't), get some basic groceries, clean and prepare all of S.'s stuff for school. But I love cooking anyway - so I don't consider it a chore. It's the laundry and the ironing I absolutely hate doing. In fact, the housekeeper comes only for the sole purpose of doing all our laundry (which takes her half a day!). Giving the apartment/bathrooms a thorough cleaning is just an added bonus. P. and my polo shirts are either dry cleaned or ironed by the Cleaners. The only way you could get me to touch a hot iron and starch spray is if I have to smooth out S.'s school uniforms. And the only time I load the washing machine is when I have to wash lingerie. I guess this is one reason why my marriage works: P. accepts one of my quirks without question.
Pondering for "New Year's Resolutions?" Nah. Not for me. I'm only good at short-term goals (say: 3 months). After that, either my determination has waned or my goal/purpose has differed. There's really nothing in my life that I want to change. All the decisions I made, I made with the knowledge that I would be enjoying its rewards or suffer its consequences.
Neither do I envision living a mega-rich life - I'm contented with us having just "Enough". Enough money to buy food. Enough money to pay the bills. Enough money to pay for S.'s private school education. Enough money for occasional trips. Enough money to shop. You get my drift...
I have a wonderful family and each day starts with the thought of how I could make it better for each of them. (exception: laundry!!!). Having the same goals and sharing the same interests make it much easier, I guess. Continue living each day to its fullest. Never forgetting to say "I Love You". Not taking each other for granted. Accepting his habits. (e.g: farting loudly in bed). Compromising. (e.g: cooking him his favorite cabbage soup anyway, inspite of the occasional "gas explosions"). An abundance of hugs and kisses. These are little things that go a long long way...
Whoaaaa. I didn't know being sick makes one sentimental too.
So I guess I'll stop right here before I start posting endless Moliere quotations.=D.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home