Steytsayd Ilongga

As the title implies, Angel was born in the Philippines and currently living in NYC. This Personal Journal contains random Recipes of my kitchen "experiments", Food-related events, Good Eats, and of course - lots of Photos. For Family-related posts, Travel notes, and other Miscellanous topics, drop by HTTP://STEYTSAYDILONGGALIWAT.BLOGSPOT.COM. Take a peek at my life... Hey, jump right in!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York City, United States

Catch up on some (mis)Adventures of a fun-loving gal who's making the most out of married life, being a mom, and living it up in the Big Apple.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Lechon Kawali

What's for dinner?
I haven't been to the meat market for a while so I checked my freezer to see what forgotten piece of meat I have left in store. A lone slab of frozen pork belly stared right back at me. I was thinking of making skewered Pork BBQ's (ala Satay) with Thai Peanut Sauce but didn't have much patience to wait for it to thaw, so I did the second next best thing.
Filled a huge pot 3/4 full of water. Dropped in the Pork Belly and added a large Onion (sliced in half), 5 whole Garlic Cloves, a tablespoon of whole Pepper Corns, a few dried Bay Leaf, Salt and Onion Powder to the water. Boiled/simmered it for an hour. Took out the cooked pork and rubbed the skin with Salt, ground Black Pepper and Paprika Powder. Let drip dry for another hour.
Heated the oven to 350 degrees. Baked the pork belly, skin side up for (more or less) an hour and a half. 5 minutes before serving - I changed the oven setting to "Broil" making sure I checked the meat often so the skin will get crunchy and crispy, but not charred. Served it with steamed White Rice, Corn-on-the-Cob, and Green Mango-Jicama Salsa.
Green Mango-Jicama Salsa:
1 Green mango (diced), 1 Jicama (diced or jullienned), 1 firm Tomato (seeds and juice squeezed out), quarter of a red Onion (finely diced), 1 Jalapeno Pepper (sans seeds, finely diced), and chopped Cilantro.
For the Marinade: White Wine Vinegar, Salt, Pepper, Sugar and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (drizzle).

Mix everything together. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Thank you Thank you Ive been searching the internet on how to cook it , I saw it on the travel channel and I asked Pinay friend of mine what the name was and what sause you us on it but I didnt know how to cook it. Im using Mang Tomas all purpose sause the sweet one , so I hope it comes out good.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home